June 6, 2007

AMANDA'S SIDE OF THE STORY

I was 13 when I first heard and saw My Chemical Romance. I was dealing with all the normal boy crap of being a teenager and hating it. I was also faced with having to move out of my grandpa's house (which is in a mobile home park for senior citizen's only) and away my mom because I was a minor and breaking the rules by living there.

I stayed up pretty late every weekend. It was about 1:30 A.M., I was watching the music videos on MTV hoping for something good to come on. I wasn't having any luck and I was just about to turn it off and head to bed when the music video for "I'm Not Okay(I Promise)" came on. I listened and watched in awe of these 5 amazing boys. I couldn't believe how great they were. I oddly enough had grabbed at pen and paper before I started watching the music videos just in case I did happen to see a band that struck my fancy so I could write down their name. My Chemical Romance didn't strike my fancy; they touched my heart. They hugged me and told me everything would work out and be okay no matter what obstacle came my way.

I looked them up and found out the title of their latest CD. Not too long after I saw them, I ended up at the mall with my friends. I hardly ever had money at the time and that day I did. I walked into the CD store and saw "Three Cheers For Sweet" on sale for $12.99. I ran at it, picked it up and announced to the whole damn store I was buying it. It was the last one. I bought it not having heard the other songs but knowing I would love them because this band was amazing and spoke to me. I didn't even care about being at the mall anymore; I wanted to run home and listen to the CD! I even remember the day my mom brought me home "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" after I had showed her the CD thousands of times, and made her listen to the 30 second clips thousands of times.

Without My Chemical Romance, I really have no idea how or where my life would be right now. My Chemical Romance helped me discover who I really was. They helped me to take a step outside my body and really see myself. I could never thank My Chemical Romance enough, but I do hope to get to thank them one day.

-Amanda S. , 16, California