June 6, 2007

DANNA'S SIDE OF THE STORY

Hearing that people think MCR condones masochism makes me sick. In fact, I believe it is the exact opposite. They speak out AGAINST self-harm and suicide. They want to HELP kids stop that, which is a beautiful thing. The reason a lot of the kids who listen to them like them so much is because they understand how kids who are depressed feel, and they want to help.

Personally, I know exactly what people say when they say "MCR saved my life", because they saved mine TWICE. I was very depressed when I was younger, and it came to a climax in the beginning of last year. Depression runs in my family, and a rough past spawned a time of great depression for me, so much so to the point of where I was suicidal. In 6th grade, I fell in love, completely head-over-heels. This boy was my everything, and I thought I would be with him forever. We dated through most of seventh grade, which is when I started listening to My Chemical Romance. I liked them a lot, but they weren't my favorite band or anything. Anyway, me and my boyfriend started having trouble, which eventually ended in a terrible breakup. My world crumbled, and I wanted to die. And honestly, I would have ended my life were it not or the song "Skylines and Turnstiles". I turned on my CD player as loud as possible and tried to drown out the pain and tears I was surrounded by. Randomly, it landed on Skylines and Turnstiles, which I had never eally liked before that. Suddenly, every word of that song explained everything I was feeling. It got me through the night, and made me addicted to My Chemical Romance.

From then on, I was a die-hard fan. I bought merch, magazines; any thing I could get my hands on. I loved them dearly, and couldn't wait for the next release (which was then Life On The Murder Scene). Unfortunatly,things in my life took another bad turn and I was again thwarted by suicide. This past summer, I messed up a very good relationship by messing with another guy, which is the biggest regret of my life. I was so hurt, even though my boyfriend of the time did not care. I had to end the relationship out of my emotional distress, and the next few moths after that sent me back into depression. The release of The Black Parade helped me a lot, but I was already too far gone. By Novermber of 2006, I had begun cutting myself. I know that it was stupid, and that it could ruin everything I had, but I was addicted. I knew that MCR was against it, but I still could not stop. I cut daily, to the point where I had thirty scars on my arm, which are still there. It became too hard to hide, and I knew I had to quit. I attempted once, and started up again. By then I knew I had to stop or I'd be too far gone to stop. The thing that really made me stop for good was seeing the 'Famous Last Words' video. It made me think "I say I'm such a good fan, but right now, I am everything they are against." So I quit, and even though it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, it is the best decision I have ever made.

I know now that I owe my life to MCR, and I'd give anything to let them know that. They are my world. They saved me when nothing else could. I will always hold them in my heart, and I love them more than anything in this world. And so, you can see why hearing this stuff makes me want to scream. They save lives, not end them!

-Danna, 13, Virginia