June 6, 2007

EMILY'S SIDE OF THE STORY

I cannot say that My Chemical Romance has ever saved me from killing myself, but they have saved my life in a way where they have made it so much better and continue to make me feel like I'm not alone and I have five amazing people to look up to. I have never been suicidal in my life, or harmed myself, but there have been times where I felt my life could be better, and maybe I'm not making the best of it.

I started listening to MCR around three years ago, I was only in 5th or 6th grade when I heard Helena and I'm Not Okay and I knew they were a different band that was not like many other bands, but they have a strong message to give people, to feel that you are not alone. I bought their CD and loved every single song, and made my mother listen to them every single time we were driving in the car. I could never get tired of listening to them and I always would pay attention to the lyrics to try and figure what the songs were about. For a while, I sort of dropped MCR and had a huge obsession with Green Day when i was in 7th grade. It was later when I started hearing about My Chemical Romance working on a new album, The Black Parade and I listening to the single "WTTBP" when I realized that i could never stop loving them and they had a special place in my heart. It sounds cheesy, but i never realized how much a band could truly mean to you and how devoted you could still be to them. After anticipating the release of The Black Parade, my mom came home and she bought me the CD. Ever since then, My love for My Chemical Romance kept growing. I saw them in concert, and it was absolutely amazing to see the band I loved, listened to and the band that helped me whenever i needed it. I continually listen to all three of their CDs, and i can never get tired of watching their DVD. Their love for each other and their fans amazes me, I can't explain. I honestly don't know what my life would be like without them, they are my heroes and they are always there for me.

Gerard is the most incredible person I've seen. SO many people look up to him, and he is so amazing, I don't think he realizes it. It makes me so angry to hear people say I HATE MCR because they say they're EMO, when they don't know what the band members have been through. Like how Gerard has been suicidal twice, but has saved his own life, and made it the best. I have so much respect for My Chemical Romance, it's hard to describe and put into words. MCR SAVES lives, they don't drive people to suicide or make their fans turn "emo". They give us something to look up to and to be their for us in hard times and to make us feel like they will always be there and they truly love their fans. I know I am young, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan. Gerard, Mikey, Bob, Frank and Ray will always have a place in my heart and I could never stop believing in them.

- Emily, 13, Arizona