June 6, 2007

JULIA'S SIDE OF THE STORY

My Chemical Romance lets me know that its ok to be me, and there are people like me out there.

My sister and I are very close, and we both love My Chem. Last night we went to a coffee shop and discussed our lives, mostly talking about our parents. I feel that they had children too late in life, and now would rather focus on retirement and being an adult than taking care of teenagers. So that is what they do. Our family does interact daily, and seem happy to observers, but the truth is my mom and dad would prefer not to have to deal with me. I have anxiety and possibly a mild case of depression. When I have a bad day, or start slipping under their expectations, I get scolded. My mother never seems to give sympathy in a difficult situation. She doesn’t seem to consider that maybe I am experiencing a difficulty in my life. I have problems, and that probably is apparent to them, but like I said, they would rather not deal with it. My parents do everything the books say to: Set limits, enforce good habits and grades. But do they get emotionally involved? No. My mom, who is always home, just leaves me to sit alone and i go on my computer.

I really wish my parents could be there for me, but they aren’t, so I have attached myself to My Chemical Romance. I turn to their music for comfort and support. And in a way they do fill in the void where my parents have left off. I can not thank them enough for being there for me. I hate to sound cliché, but My Chem did save me from suicide.

- Julia, 13, Gilbert, AZ, United States