June 6, 2007

JULIE'S SIDE OF THE STORY

I believe it was just after my 14 birthday when I starting self-injuring, I was pretty depressed at the time and I guess I was just curious to see if it actually helped. I won't go in to detail but basically I got addicted to it. Now that may sound strange but I guess because it did make me feel better, I like that and I needed it. I've tried to stop a couple of times but so far I haven't been able to stop completely.

Okay so MCR, I actually only got really into them not long ago, my depression steadily got worse over the years and I was running out of options. I've always been a big fan of music, and I've always listened to music when I'm in a bad place. When I started listening to them, I immediately felt something, there was life there. The music was telling me, "Yeah I'm messed up, but you know what, I don't care." They were telling me, it's okay. Recently I have been having suicidal thoughts quite a lot, but when I listen to their music, something in it tells me to keep fighting, that you do want to live and you can make it. Right now I'm not okay, I will admit that, but I will continue to fight and do my damnedest to get better. MCR have given me that will to want to live.

This is why it really annoys me when I hear about the "MCR promotes suicide and self-harm" No, they do exactly the opposite. They tell you it's okay, and they encourage you to get better.

MCR saves lives and for that I will be forever grateful.

-Julie, 16, England