July 7, 2007

LAUREN'S SIDE OF THE STORY

I don't have an amazingly inspiring story about how MCR stopped me from committing suicide, but I do have a story to tell.

I was playing around on iTunes when I heard MCR for the first time. I heard "Welcome To The Black Parade" and I liked it. I wanted to learn more about MCR. I found out more about them and I had instant respect for them. Learning about them made me want to hear more of their songs. I saw their music video for "Famous Last Words" and I was blown away. The song made me fall in love with the band. I bought their cd's and have learned even more about them. They have been a major part of my life ever since.

Last year, my mom was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. She had emergency surgery, they took out both of her ovaries. The cancer was gone but they still made her go through chemo therapy. Over the summer my mom lost all her hair. Her hair finally came back in November. I was so stunned by everything that was happening when all of this was going on that I never expressed any emotions about it, but I still had those emotions inside just waiting to come out. About two months after my mom's hair started coming back, I discovered MCR. After falling in love with the band, I heard their song "Cancer". The song was so breath taking, and I related to it so well. It was my release for all the feelings I had about my mom's cancer. I felt so much better after getting all of those feelings out because I had had them stuffed inside me for so long.

About 4 months after everything with "Cancer", I hit a bad time in my life. I fell way too hard for a guy who was just leading me on. I had some issues with an ex boyfriend, who I still don't forgive. And my uncle died. I became stressed out and anti social, I would snap at the people I love and would cry all the time. The only thing that got me through that time was My Chemical Romance. Their music saved me. Especially "Famous Last Words". The song gave me a sense of hope, it told me that I was going to get through this. The song was my hero, my savior. The band was (and still is) my hero too, I don't know what I would have done without them.

I thank My Chemical Romance every day for the music they give us and the good that they do. They tell people that its ok that they aren't ok, that they will get through this, and that no matter what, never give up and never back down. I wouldn't be the person I am today without MCR, and for that I have endless love and respect for them.

- Lauren, 13, Illinois