August 8, 2008

JASMIN'S SIDE OF THE STORY

I found out about the amazing music of My Chemical Romance during the summer of 2004, I was 15 then. That was when I first heard the song "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", I had never heard a song quite like that one and it intrigued me greatly. I absolutely loved the music and the lyrics, and I felt like I could really relate to what they were saying. I went on to find the rest of their songs, and I downloaded them (shame, I know), and I did love them all, but I didn't really listen to the album all the time, because at that time I also listened to other types of music, such as rap, r&b, etc.

Then In 2005, I was on vacation in Puerto Rico, for 2 months, listening to the same crap reggaeton over and over again. I was getting fed up and bored, and I discovered the FUSE channel, that's when I saw the video for Helena. I recognized the song immediately, but the faces were new to me. I didn't know what any member in MCR looked like until that moment, and it seemed so real. I can see the hurt in Gerard's face in the video, singing a song that was dedicated to his grandmother. I was in love with that video and the concept, and in my two months on vacation, I would wake up in the morning hoping that the Helena Video was on tv. I had their album with me and I was so happy. For the first time, I not only just heard the songs, but really LISTENED to what they were saying. I was changed when I came back to chicago. I was a different person, with different views on things. I hated rap and r&b, and My Chemical Romance was (and is) my favorite band.

I used to be depressed, I would cut, and I hated myself (for the short part of the story). Now, I don't cut, I'm not depressed, and I don't hate myself anymore, part of that is because of this band (the other part of this is because of my boyfriend of 5 years).

I put my shit together, thanks to their music, and although I'm not perfect, and I never will be, I believe that I've changed for the best. I love this band and their music, and what they all stand for, and that's why I own MCR OWNS YOU and TO:MCR . This is why I spend lots of time, trying to add messages, photos, art, etc, to my websites, and search the web for updated news, so that I know what's happening with them. This is why I worry when something bad happens to one of them, or am happy when something good happens to them.

I believe that this band has the best fanbase out there, their music brings us fans together, and I am positive that no other fanbase is the same. I hate it when the media gets it all wrong, and tries to make this band and their music seem like it's causing kids to commit suicide, or to cut, or that it's making us depressed. If anything, it's making us better people. They have this presence onstage that gives you hope, and makes you feel like that's one place you can fit it and be yourself, even if it is for just one night. They give their fans the most inspirational and great messages that they can. With quotes such as "Think Happy Thoughts", "Hey girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise", and " You should never want to hurt yourself. You should love yourself."

If your child, friend, sister, brother, etc wants to commit suicide, is cutting, is severly depressed, it is not the fault of the music or people in a band. Maybe it's time for you to properly communicate with that person instead of judging them, or blaming the problem on a certain band or music genre.

Thanks for reading.

- Jasmin, 18, Chicago